Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that strengthens teeth and prevents cavities. For decades, it has been essential in oral health treatment. It promotes healthy tooth enamel and inhibits the growth of bacteria that harm teeth and gums. It is especially beneficial if you have a high risk of developing dental caries, also known as cavities.
What is a Dental Fluoride Treatment?
General dentists use a fluoride treatment to reverse the early stages of tooth decay and strengthen the teeth so that they are less susceptible to decay. The treatments are an effective way to protect patients who are at a higher risk of dental decay. It makes the enamel strong —preventing acids and bacteria from entering the dentin and pulp chamber.
Fluoride treatments are available as a varnish, gel, foam, or rinse. The treatment can be given by rinsing the patient’s mouth with the product or by pouring it on a mouth tray, which the patient bites down on. If the fluoride-infused product comes in the form of a varnish, the dentist will brush it onto the patient’s teeth.
Professional fluoride treatment for teeth employs products that are significantly higher in fluoride than oral hygiene products such as toothpaste or mouth rinse. The procedure usually takes a few minutes, and the patient may be asked to refrain from drinking or eating for 30 minutes so their teeth can absorb the product.
Five Advantages of a Fluoride Treatment
Here is how a professional fluoride treatment can benefit you:
- It strengthens the enamel so there is greater protection against bacteria and acids produced by them. Additionally, your teeth will be less vulnerable to sensitivity
- The acids in your mouth actually take away the minerals, which are important for oral health. In fact, this initial demineralisation is the first step to tooth decay. Fluoride reintroduces minerals like calcium and phosphorous into your mouth
- A fluoride treatment, along with regular use of fluoride toothpaste makes you less vulnerable to developing tooth decay and cavities. Hence, fluoride acts as a preventative measure
- Talking about a preventative measure, fluoride is actually one that exists naturally. Therefore, you are not adding anything foreign to your mouth — it occurs naturally in both ocean and groundwater. Water fluoridation is used to adjust the levels of fluoride in drinking water so that it is safe as well as beneficial for preventing tooth decay and dental caries
- Lastly, the preventative measure taken in the form of a fluoride treatment saves your time and money in the long run. You will be able to avoid serious oral health issues, which may require more time-consuming, costly, and complicated treatments
Dr. Nick Addario offers professional fluoride treatments at his dental office in Chula Vista. To learn more about how to get rid of cavities, maintain your oral health, Dr. Addario’s fluoride treatment, fluoride treatment aftercare, and other dental health information, or book your appointment please call or visit us today.