Dentures are substitutes for missing teeth and can be removed when required. You can pull them out and re-insert them whenever you like. Dentures can be divided into two categories: full and partial dentures. There are, however, other varieties, which we shall cover in this post.
You may need some time to adjust if you are getting dentures for the first time. Modern dentures are more comfortable than older types, even though they will never feel like your natural teeth.
The Types of Dentures Dentists Offer
Following are five types of dentures that a dentist may recommend:
- Traditional full dentures: A full set of dentures are used to replace all of the patient’s teeth. After the dentist pulls the teeth, they will sit on top of the gums. They are usually placed 8 to 12 weeks after the teeth are extracted by the dentist.
- Partial dentures: If the patient still has some natural teeth, these will be placed against the gums. They are held in the mouth by a pink-colored base attached to a metal piece. The existing teeth are also kept from migrating with this type of denture.
- Immediate dentures: If you are getting them for the first time and need to have teeth extracted, your dentist will fit you with immediate dentures on the same day. The temporary dentures will be worn while you heal and until your permanent dentures arrive. As a result, these temporary dentures only, and you will most likely only wear them for 6 to 8 months.
- Custom dentures: Dentures can be customized for patients who seek a more attractive and natural-looking smile. These cost more, but you get to see them before the design is finished. The dentist and dental lab will make sure that your dentures are customized as per your needs.
- Overdentures: These are held in place by dental implants and rest on top of the gums. These can be used for both the upper and lower jaw, depending on the patient’s dental needs.
Some other types of dentures are also offered by dentists. For example, implant-supported, economy, and upper dentures.
When it comes to choosing among the types of dentures available, it depends on the condition of your oral health and individual dental needs. When you are getting dentures for the first time, your dentist will evaluate you to determine which type will be most suitable. Your bite can change with time so it is possible to need refitting in the future.
Dr. Nick Addario offers quality and affordable dentures in Chula Vista at his dental clinic. Depending on your initial evaluation, Dr. Addario will determine the type of denture suitable for your dental needs. Along with a comfortable and complete fitting procedure, patients will also receive instructions on proper denture care so they can maintain their oral health as well as the integrity of the device.