When it comes to our smiles, staining or yellowing can really take a hit on our self-confidence. In a digital world, our photos are everywhere: on social media, in our email signatures, on LinkedIn, on our company’s website just to name a few. So being confident in our smile is so important! According to more than two-thirds (68%) of Americans, people who smile are more trustworthy, confident, and approachable, and 76% admit a smile is the #1 physical trait to make a first impression of others.
If you’re dreaming of a whiter smile this Christmas, you might be wondering if you should try one of the hundreds of over-the-counter products marketed toward whitening your teeth or if you should schedule a professional teeth whitening appointment with Dr. Addario. Let’s look at some of the pros and cons of over-the-counter whitening treatments compared to a professional whitening treatment.
Over the Counter Whitening Products
- They are cheaper per item than a professional whitening treatment
- You can use them from the comfort of your own home
- There is a wide variety of products to choose from so you can try different application methods and choose what you like best
- They are widely available and can be purchased same day vs waiting for an appointment
- When not used correctly, they can have negative effects on teeth and gums
- Overuse can wear down on teeth’s enamel
- This can lead to tooth sensitivity
- Often messy and hard to use
- The number of products you would need to buy in order to match the whitening results you would get from a professional treatment end up costing close to the same as the professional treatment
- Takes lots of applications to see the results
Professional Teeth Whitening
- Usually up to 8 shades whiter in one half-hour appointment
- No mess or complicated application
- Supervised by a professional to ensure no damage is done to teeth or gums
- Seems expensive compared to over-the-counter products until you compare how many products are needed to get the same results
- Have to wait for your appointment vs being able to buy products as soon as you want
As you can see there are pros and cons to both types of whitening treatments, but the fast results and professional approach gets our vote! If you’re interested in whiter teeth this holiday season and want your smile to shine at all of your holiday parties, call us to schedule your whitening treatment at 619-656-1788.